Lots of households and individuals across the UK are struggling to cope with the cost of living. If you are facing financial difficulties, there may be help available. 

This page outlines where you can go to get debt and financial information and advice, how to work out what benefits you may be eligible for, how to apply for benefits and other support, and who best to contact if you need further help or are having problems relating to benefits. The page also explains how Tan Dhesi MP can assist you.


Advice and Support – Benefits and Finances 

There are a few local and national organisations which can give you excellent advice on issues relating to finances and benefits, and what options are available to you.

Slough Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) offers confidential advice and provides information on benefits and tax credits if you are working or unemployed, sick or disabled, a parent, a young person, an older person or a veteran. 

Phone: 0800 144 8848 (National Phoneline) / Slough Advice Line on 0808 812 7022 (Mon to Fri 10am to 4pm)


Pre-booked appointments (Thursdays only) are now held at:

Citizens Advice East Berkshire – Slough
Slough Treatment, Advice & Recovery Team (START),
Slough Community Hub (CHUB),
27 Church Street,



StepChange offer a range of practical debt solutions and services. 

Phone: 0800 138 1111 

Online advice session: 



Turn2us is a national charity providing practical help to people who are struggling financially. You can visit the Turn2us website to check your benefit entitlements or fill out online form for help:



Money Saving Expert is a one-stop shop for information on cutting costs, your rights and what steps you may be able to take to improve your finances.



Help for Households: The Government have launched a Help for Households campaign which may highlight further support available to you to help with the cost of living.



The Government’s Benefits page: The Government’s website outlines a range of support that is available to you regarding benefits:


Benefit Eligibility 

If you want to see what support you may be eligible to receive and how to apply for this support, there are several options available.

Benefits CalculatorYou can check what benefits you could be entitled to using the benefits calculator on the Government’s website here: 

Slough Borough Council has information about benefits on their website, which is particularly useful for housing benefits and council tax support:


Benefit Queries 

If you already receive benefits and need further help with them, then there are a few steps to follow.

Step 1: Working out which organisation is responsible for the benefits you need help with.

To understand who can help with your benefits issue, it’s important to figure out who is responsible for those benefits.

In general, Slough Borough council will be responsible for issues relating to housing and council tax, while the Government will be responsible for most of the rest. If you have received any e-mails or letters about your benefits, these can be useful in working out who manages them.

Step 2: Contact the relevant organisation about your issue. 

Once you’ve worked out who is responsible for administering the benefit(s) you are having issues with, the next step is to contact them directly. You can find their contact details below.

Slough Borough Council: Issues relating to benefits administered by the Council can be raised with them directly on their website: or by using their complaints procedure:

You can also book a face-to-face appointment with an advisor from the Council on their website:

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP): Issues relating to benefits administered by DWP, such as welfare, pensions and child maintenance policy, can be raised through their website:

Step 3: When you have tried to get help from the relevant organisation, but your issue remains unresolved.

If you’ve already tried unsuccessfully to resolve your benefits issue, then you may want to contact your appropriate elected representative. 

For issues relating to Slough Borough Council (such as housing benefit and council tax) your local councillors are the best representatives to contact as they are elected to decide council matters and represent you with council issues:  Find Councillor (

For issues relating to benefits managed by the DWP, including CMS, and if you are a resident of the Slough Constituency then Tan Dhesi MP is the best representative to contact and he and his team may be able to help you further.

Tan and his team can contact the DWP and other Government Departments on your behalf. You can find out how best to contact Tan below.

Link to Instagram Link to Twitter Link to YouTube Link to Facebook Link to LinkedIn Link to Snapchat Close Fax Website Location Phone Email Calendar Building Search