Who they can help:

An MP is only able to deal with issues raised by people who live in their constituency, called constituents.

To check your constituency and MP, please enter your postcode on UK Parliament’s Website: https://members.parliament.uk/members/commons

What your MP can do:

Members of Parliament are elected to the House of Commons to represent the interests and concerns of all the people who live in their constituency, whether they voted for them at the General Election or not.

MPs consider and vote on legislation and use their position to ask government ministers questions about current issues.

MPs split their time between working in Parliament and working in the constituency. In Parliament, MPs spend their time representing the interests of all their constituents, attending debates, scrutinising and voting on legislation, and attending meetings.

In their constituencies, MPs hold advice surgeries for constituents (where they can come and talk to Tan about any local issues and problems), attend meetings and community events, as well as visiting local organisations and businesses across the constituency.

When a constituent writes to an MP, they will write to the relevant government department, organisation or official involved. Many problems are solved in this way and Tan always aim to respond within 10 working days, although sometimes more complex cases may take slightly longer.

What your MP can’t do:

MPs do not have any jurisdiction over local council decisions. Tan can write on your behalf to the council and ask them to look into a problem or to reconsider an issue. In the first instance though, constituents should contact the Council or their local councillors directly.

MPs cannot offer legal advice and have no jurisdiction over the police or the courts. Constituents are therefore advised to consult with a solicitor should they need professional advice for legal disputes.

They also cannot provide any financial or business advice.

An MP is not able to assist in settling family arguments or private disputes with neighbours or employers. MPs also cannot assist with private disputes with companies who have sold you faulty goods.

If you object to a planning application or proposed development, then you should first lodge your objections through the Council or your local councillor.

If you are facing difficulties with any of the issues outlined above, you may be able to find more details about what support is available to you here.

Link to Instagram Link to Twitter Link to YouTube Link to Facebook Link to LinkedIn Link to Snapchat Close Fax Website Location Phone Email Calendar Building Search