Closing Date: 13 July 2020
Job Title: Intern (fixed-term contract)
Salary: £15,990 p.a.
Tan Dhesi MP is looking for an enthusiastic, organised individual who is passionate about helping others, to join his team on a full-time fixed-term casework-focused internship.
As part of a committed team, you will assist with requests for help from constituents, which might include issues with benefits, housing, healthcare, and try and resolve them. This will involve learning how to effectively manage casework in the context of an MP’s office and how best to help people address issues they are facing in their lives.
The internship will be based in Tan’s busy constituency office in Slough, however may have to involve home-based working while public health restrictions are in place.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assisting with and learning how to manage casework
- Attending surgeries and other meetings as part of training
- Learning/assisting in drafting responses to constituents
- Taking calls from constituents and drafting communications to members of the public
- Assisting on projects
- Assisting with diary management
- Basic administrative support
- Learning how to analyse, evaluate and interpret data
- Learning/assisting in appropriate research
- Opening and dispatching mail
- General support for work undertaken in the Constituency Office.
The ideal applicant will have:
- A good knowledge of Tan’s work and the Slough area
- A clear and demonstrable passion for helping others
- Good organisational and administrative skills with the ability to prioritise
- Excellent research, writing and communication skills
- The ability to quickly pick up new skills, solve problems and work well under pressure
- Experience of using Microsoft Office
- Ability to work independently, show initiative and work well as part of a wider team, demonstrating a positive and flexible attitude
- Sympathy to the values and aims of the Labour Party and political awareness.
Desirable qualities (not essential):
- Prior experience of working in an office environment
- Prior experience of working as part of a team
- The ability to communicate in another language, especially Punjabi, Urdu, Hindi or Polish, is beneficial but not essential.
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
Closing Date: 13 July 2020
Successful applicants will be asked to complete a computer-based assessment w/c 20 July.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview w/c 27 July. Start date ASAP in September. Preference may be given based on availablity to start. The internship will run until 31/03/21.
Please send a CV outlining relevant skills and experience, as well as a cover letter stating why you want to work for Tan and what you can bring to the role. Your cover letter must be 1 page maximum. Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org, and put “SLOUGH INTERNSHIP APPLICATION” in the subject line.