Job Title: Intern (fixed term)
Working For: Tan Dhesi MP (Slough)
Location: Slough & occasionally Westminster
Salary: £15990 p.a. (pro-rata)
Tan Dhesi MP is looking for an enthusiastic, organised individual who is passionate about helping others, to join his team on a fixed term internship.
The internship will be based in Tan’s busy Constituency Office in Slough, but some time may be spent working in his Parliamentary Office. While the internship will be largely focussed on assisting Tan’s team with casework from constituents and learning how to effectively manage casework, the successful applicant should get to experience the many diverse aspects of work in an MPs office during their internship.
The term would either be 4 months (full-time, 5 days per week) or 5 months (part-time, 4 days per week) depending on the intern’s preference.
Responsibilities will include:
• Assisting/learning how to manage casework
• Attending surgeries and other meetings as part of training
• Learning/assisting in drafting responses to constituents
• Taking calls from constituents and drafting communications to members of the public
• Assisting on projects
• Assisting with diary management
• Basic administrative support
• Learning how to analyse, evaluate and interpret data
• Learning/assisting in appropriate research
• Opening and dispatching mail
• General support for work undertaken in the Constituency or Parliamentary Office.
The ideal applicant would have:
• A good knowledge of Tan’s work and the Slough area.
• A clear and demonstrable passion for helping others.
• Good organisational and administrative skills with the ability to prioritise tasks.
• Excellent research, writing and communication skills.
• The ability to quickly pick up new skills, solve problems and work well under pressure.
• Capable of using Microsoft office.
• Ability to work independently, show initiative and work well as part of a wider team, demonstrating a positive and flexible attitude.
• Be sympathetic to the values and aims of the Labour Party and politically aware.
Desirable specifications (not essential):
• Prior experience of working in an office environment.
• Prior experience of working as part of a team.
• The ability to communicate in another language, especially Punjabi, Urdu or Polish
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK. Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 31 March 2019
Interviews will be held in Slough during w/c 06 April. Start day can be flexible but should be around the beginning of May. The internship will last for four months from the start date.
Please send a CV outlining relevant skills and experience, as well as a cover letter stating why you want to work for Tan and what you can bring to the role to email@example.com. Please put “SLOUGH INTERNSHIP APPLICATION” in the subject line. Cover letter must be 1-page max.
This is a 4- or 5-month fixed term contract, depending on working hours. The normal place of work is Slough. For any work undertaken in Tan’s Parliamentary Office, travel expenses between Slough and London will be reimbursed in line with IPSA guidelines. Unfortunately, we are unable to consider applicants who cannot commit to at least 4 days per week.